PersonalINN is a full-fledged Usenet news server that permits you to fetch newsgroups from the news server of your Internet service provider, store them on your computer or local network and read them or post to them offline with any NNTP newsreader. The creation of local newsgroups is also possible. PersonalINN is based on the Internet's standard news server, INN, but modified for personal use. It is precompiled and -configured, and has a Graphical User Interface for configuration and administration as well as an extensive online help.
- The current version is PersonalINN 2.0 from December 21st, 1999.
- The most important differences from PersonalINN 1.0 are:
- PersonalINN 2.0 is based on INN 2.2, the most recent released INN version (and therefore is year 2000 compliant, unlike PersonalINN 1.0).
- PersonalINN 2.0 uses newsx (instead of slurp and rpost) to communicate with the remote news server. Since newsx doesn't use the problematic NNTP NEWNEWS command, PersonalINN 2.0 should be compatible with all news servers.
- PersonalINN 2.0 is optimized for NEXTSTEP and its special use. All INN programs that needed it were modified accordingly.
- And probably the biggest change: PersonalINN 2.0 can be completely configured and administered with a NEXTSTEP application (PersonalINN.Manager.app). Newsgroups are subscribed to or unsubscribed from by simple mouse clicks, and it's easy to create your own local newsgroups. Configuration is mostly automatic, and you should never need to edit INN configuration files again. The UNIX interface to INN, ctlinnd, is mostly replaced by PersonalINN.Manager, too. Finally, PersonalINN.Manager includes an extensive online help for PersonalINN.
- PersonalINN is freely available
- Screenshots of PersonalINN
- Introduction to PersonalINN (excerpts from PersonalINN.Manager's online help)
- Flow Diagram of PersonalINN (background information; not normally necessary for working with PersonalINN)
- Commentary on the flow diagram (excerpt from PersonalINN.Manager's online help)